My Mind's Eye

Finding myself at a loss for words, and the funny thing is, it's ok...

 
Muzaq
  • Ray Charles
  • Dianna Krall
  • Evanescence
  • Rat Pak
  • Joss Stone
  • Delirious?
  • Rita Springer
  • Heather Clark
  • Desperation Band
  • Lauryn Hill
  • Leeland
  • Corinne Bailey Rae
  • John Legend
  • Lilly Allen
  • The Cast
  • Sonya
  • Lucas
  • Anne
  • Barb
  • Danika
  • Paul&Wanda
  • Rebekah
  • Tim
  • Dawn
  • Jan
  • Annie
  • JK
  • Kim
  • Lauren
  • Alysha
  • Mark
  • GoFugYourself
  • Vancouver Cafe Reviews
  • Films I Fancy
  • Austin Powers Trilogy
  • Rent
  • Kingdom Of Heaven
  • Ocean's 11 (Old & New)
  • Zoolander
  • Bride and Prejudice
  • Pride and Prejudice
  • The Producers
  • Braveheart
  • The Man
  • So I Married an Axe Murderer
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Hitch
  • King Arthur
  • Anything Disney
  • Phantom of the Opera
  • Locations of visitors to this page
  • My Library
    The Dream Giver
  • The Mark of the Lion Series
  • Atonement Child
  • Redeeming Love
  • Pierced By The Word
  • The Visitation
  • Captivating
  • For Women Only
  • The Last Sin Eater
  • The Shofar Blew
  • The Poisonwood Bible
  • If the Sun Doesn't Kill You, The Washing Machine Will
  • Artsy Fartsy
  • Great Art Prints
  • Mini-You
  • Deviant Art
  • Beautymark Photography
  • Pink Elephants, Unicorns, and the Like
    Saturday, September 02, 2006
    Fairytales. We all remember them, and certain ones have significance in our lives. Disney classics, Mother Goose, Dr. Seuss, all seem to be timeless. No matter how old we get, how jaded we become; we still hold a certain fondness for them. It’s left me to wonder why? Why is it that even the most persistent of realists hold a particular fondness to one fairytale or another? I myself, as a die-hard realist have an intense passion for tales of princesses, dragons, talking animals, fairies, enchanted castles and pirates. I’ve narrowed it down to possibly 3 different reasons:

    FANTASY – Ok, so in the last little while, the word “fantasy” has obtained a strong
    sexual content. But I mean, come on, fantasizing doesn’t always have to be
    related directly to our sex lives. Who wouldn’t want to meet a talking
    donkey, or buy some magic beans, or meet their very own fairy godmother?
    As adults, I think we can learn from the rich fantasy lives of children. When
    you hear of the Prince climbing up Rapunzel’s hair, dream of one day
    having hair so long instead of how much it would kill your scalp to have a
    200 lb prince climbing up it, or how much of a pain it would be to take care
    of. What was your childhood fantasy? (I said childhood folks! Let’s keep
    PG-rated ok?)

    ESCAPE – I say we follow the example of Johnny Depp’s character in “Finding
    Neverland” (not only because he is so fabulous by all accounts, but also b/c
    it presents an excellent point). If you’re stressed, and need to take a little 5
    minute escape at work, create your own Neverland. First star to the right, and
    straight on ‘til morning, right? Think happy thoughts, hang with a few
    Mermaids, battle some evil pirates, be crowned King or Queen of a magic
    Kingdom, and you’ll be back before your boss even notices you were gone.
    Ah yes, who doesn’t need an escape once in a while? Maybe even write your
    adventures down. I’ll even confess to my stunning alter ego, yes, ladies and
    A gentleman, I, at one point in my life was….BATGIRL! I used to fight the
    villains of Gotham City on a regular basis, and thanks to me, many of them
    we will never encounter again. Although sometimes I was Catwoman, just b/c
    Batman was in love with her. Yes, I do have an evil side to me as well.

    SPECTACULAR
    MUSICAL
    SEQUENCES – Come on people, you know you love them. They stay with you long
    into your adulthood you’ll be cooking dinner, and all of a sudden a
    favorite Disney tune will pop into your head, and you’ll be whisked away
    “Under the Sea”, or to a “Whole New World”. Come on now, I know
    even those of you who claim to be irritated by such scenes secretly
    adore them. You can come out to the closet now, it’s ok. Although I do
    think that such fantastic displays as shown in the favorite fairytales have
    had a serious impact on me. I often watch in great hopes for groups of
    people to be randomly dancing down the streets in unison,
    harmoniously belting out “Prince Ali”, or “I Just Can’t Wait to be
    King”. But alas, my hopes are often dashed by the unfair realism of life.
    Tre Tragic.


    Anyhoo, these are my thoughts for the day. If you have not seen Finding Neverland, go and rent it, right now, go, seriously. It’s worth it, if not only for the story, and imagination, but HELLO JOHNNY DEPP! With an Irish accent no less! So let me know what goes on in that creative little mind of yours. (Come on, I shared mine with you!)


    Song of the Day: “I’ve Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts” - I don’t actually know who sang it
    posted by Tennille @ 9:40 PM  
    4 Comments:
    • At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      Tennille, I love this post. Unfortunately I had very little sleep last night so my mind isn't exactly functioning properly right now. When my brain is back up and running I will come back and tell you all about my fantasies. (Most of them involve Johnny Depp. I'M KIDDING!!! I'll keep it PG. lol)

       
    • At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      I sort of stumbled upon this from Sonya's blog. This topic is close to my heart. I'm quite a fan of the "musical" lifestyle. Haha...don't ou wWish it happened more in 'real life'...how dissapointing people don't randomly come up with songs about their current situations, and everyone else somehow knows when to join in and sing the chorus :D
      I like "Be A Man" (Mulan) and "Bonjour" & "Gaston" (Beauty and the Beast) myself. Why doesn't Disney make quality musicals like that anymore??

       
    • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Annie said…

      awwwww. this post reminded me of disney movies.
      disney movies remind me of how WE used to watch disney movies, and then pretend to be Ariel, in my pool.

       
    • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Annie said…

      BACK UP -

      a whole new world!!!!!

      JARED!!!

      there's no way i'm ever forgetting that

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: Tennille
    Home: Kamloops, B.C, Canada
    About Me: I pretty much prefer to let people draw their own conclusions...
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    Links
    Powered by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    © 2005 My Mind's Eye Template by Isnaini Dot Com